Deep Dive Into Baby Monitoring In Labour: Why Avoiding “Continuous Electronic Fetal Monitoring” Can Increase Your Chance Of A Quicker, Easier Birth And Decrease Your Chance Of A Cesarean (Article: The Evidence on: Fetal Monitoring by Evidence Based Birth)
Deep Dive Into Australian Birth Statistics: Powerful Data Visualisations That Show Just How Much We Need A Return To Our Original Design (Report: Australia’s Mothers and Babies Data Visualisations by Australian Institute of Health and Welfare)
|Gold Standard Care 🥇||Medical Support||Emotional Support||Will I Know The Person At My Birth?||Location||Estimated Costs|
|Private Midwife||✓||✓||✓||✓||Birth Centre, Home, or Hospital||~$300 – $5000¹|
|Group Practice Midwife||✓||✓||✓||✓²||Birth Centre, Home, or Hospital||~$0|
|Obstetrician-Gynecologist (OBGYN)||✗||✓||✗||?³||Hospital⁷||~$0 – $10,000⁴|
|Doula||✗||✗||✓||✓||Birth Centre, Home, or Hospital||~$800-$2500|
1. The cost of a private midwife varies depending on which state or country you are birthing in. Medicare rebates of $1000 – $1800 are given for prenatal and postnatal appointments, but no rebate is usually provided for the birth.
2. You will have the same midwife you’ve been seeing throughout your pregnancy if they are on call. If not, another midwife from the group practice will attend.
3. If you have a private OBGYN, you may be able to ensure they are present when your baby is born. If you are a public patient at your local hospital, then you won’t know the OBGYN attending your birth.
4. These fees are dependant on your level of Health Cover (if you have it), and whether you plan to birth in at home, a public hospital or private hospital.
5. In most hospital settings, you will have 1-on-1 support from a hospital nurse. Depending on the care provider, they may be equipped to offer you emotional support.
6. If you’re birthing in a public or private hospital (traditional maternity ward) it’s very unlikely that you’d know the hospital midwife or midwives attending to your birth.
7. OBGYN are known to operate in hospitals, though some may also attend home births.